Sedation Dentistry Houston: Everything You Need to Know
Mills Dental Group puts patient safety and comfort in its top priorities. It is imperative that our patients know everything there is to know about pre-sedation and post-sedation instructions.
We are home to several of the leading sedation dentists in Houston, so trust that you will receive the best care Houston has to offer. The sedation Houston team wants to ensure you and your loved ones have the best information available. If you have any questions please see below, and if you don’t find what you need please call us at 281-556-1606.
If your dental procedure requires sedation please keep these things in mind before you come in for your appointment. If for some reason, you eat food or you do not have an escort, then we are going to have to reschedule your dental appointment.
- No solid food four (4) hours prior to treatment: This is key to reducing the effects related to an aspiration. Aspiration is when stomach contents are expelled into the lungs. This can cause significant damage. Additionally, sedation causes nausea, which can result in postoperative vomiting.
- No liquids two (2) hours prior to treatment: As stated above, your body does experience side effects to sedation. These side effects are not an issue if you are fasting before your operation. Having water when you wake up before your operation is fine if a significant amount of time elapses before your procedure.
- No alcoholic beverages for 24 hours prior to sedation appointment: Alcohol can cause dehydration and can interact with the sedation. For these reasons, you should not drink 24 hours before your scheduled appointment.
- Take medications as normal: The sedation dentistry Houston team will consult with you before your procedure is ever made, so at that time it will be determined if any medication you are taking could interfere with anesthetic. Unless instructed otherwise, please take your medications as normal.
- Must have adult escort for transportation: Having a friend or family member that can operate your car, drive you, or help you get home after sedation is required. The effects of sedation will be present for some time after your scheduled visit. Getting home safe is a top priority.
- Wear flat soled shoes, dress comfortably: Walking after sedation is difficult. You will be disoriented after the procedure. Minimize the risk of falling over by dressing comfortably.
To summarize, side effects may include light-headedness, headache, dizziness, visual disturbances, amnesia, and nausea. It is important to fast before your appointment, and to dress comfortably to minimize complications. Please have a trusted adult waiting to escort you home after your procedure.
- Must have adult escort
- Must be easily awakened
- Have a responsible adult around until very awake: You will be experiencing the effects of sedation after your appointment. For your safety, having a trusted adult to help monitor you is best.
- Abstain from alcohol intake for 48 hours: Alcohol intake will vary after undergoing sedation, and this may lead to unneeded stress to your body or it may interfere with any type of oral stitching. For your safety, wait at least 48 hours before taking alcohol. This is for your safety and the safety of others.
- No driving day of sedation appointment: As stated above, you will be in a state of dizziness please refrain from driving.
- No important decisions should be made day of sedation appointment
- Resume medications/activities as directed
Mills Dental Group wishes you the best. Contact us for any questions or concerns.