Post-Op Scaling and Root Planning
Patient Instructions After Scaling & Root Planning in Houston, TX
- Tenderness is normal. To reduce tenderness and promote healing, rinse with warm salt water regularly for several days.
- Avoid brushing or flossing the treated area for 12 hours. However, after 12 hours, it is very important that you continue to brush and floss well. Please be careful when brushing and use a toothbrush with soft bristles. You may moisten the brush with warm water if tissues are tender.
- Tylenol or Ibuprofen may be used as recommended to help relieve discomfort or pain. If you experience prolonged or abnormal pain, please call our office.
- Highly nutritious food is necessary for the healing process. Avoid foods that require excessive chewing, and foods that are sticky, crunchy, or coarse.
- Tooth sensitivity is normal and temporary. You may use desensitizing toothpaste such as Sensodyne or Crest Sensitive or any major brand for sensitivity relief, including MI PASTE.
- You may also gently massage the treated areas with your washed/clean fingers. This will increase circulation and promote healing.
Lastly, please contact our office at 281-556-1606, should you experience prolonged bleeding or any other problems during the healing process. These suggestions will help you receive the greatest benefit from today’s treatment.