Post-Op Instructions for Implants
Mills Dental Group
1011 Highway 6 S., #300 · Houston, TX 77077
Telephone: (281) 556-1606 · Fax: (281) 556-1438
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/jtracymillsdds
1) REST: After leaving the office, rest and avoid strenuous activities for the
remainder of the day and tomorrow. Keep your head elevated (extra pillow)
the first two nights after the operation.
2) DISCOMFORT: Moderate discomfort is expected for the next few days. If necessary,
take the pain medication that has been prescribed. Take only as directed.
If these do not restore comfort, please call our office.
3) SWELLING: Expect some swelling. It may take 3-4 days before it reaches a maximum.
Bruising may also occur. Immediately after surgery, ice packs should be
applied to the outside of the face over the area of surgery. Apply for
20 minutes on and 20 minutes off for the first day.
4) BLEEDING: Slight bleeding may continue for up to 24 hours or so. This is not unusual
and is no cause for alarm.
Do not rinse vigorously the first evening.
If excessive bleeding occurs, it may be stopped by biting continuously
for 30-45 minutes on a wet roll of gauze dressing (firm compression).
Sitting quietly in an upright position will also aid in the control of
bleeding. If these measures do not succeed, call the office.
5) DENTURES: If dental implants have been placed under an existing or new denture,
leave the denture in place until you return to the office for your post-op visit.
6) ORAL HYGIENE: After today, rinse gently several times daily with warm salty water,
especially after eating.
(DO NOT RINSE VIGOROUSLY THE DAY OF SURGERY.) After the first day of surgery, brush your teeth normally, but be very
careful to stay away from the area of surgery.
DO NOT TOUCH THE SURGICAL AREA.
7) DIET: Only soft foods should be consumed the day of surgery. Cold foods such
as ice cream, milk shakes, malts, etc. are great the first day of surgery.
Puddings, baked potatoes, soup, etc. are also excellent choices. After
the first day, you may eat what is comfortable for you.
8) PROBLEMS: If you have any questions, or if there is any sign of a problem related
to the surgery, please call our office. If you
Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns.